Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Technology

So this morning in the 7:45 staff meeting, we talked about the use of blogs and wikis. I would say both are interesting concepts to all, but confusing to many!

We have moved past the students Generation X, in fact myself just caught the tale end of the Grunge and Nirvana era and slipped into the current generation of Generation Y. With my experiences, I have learned the value and understand the addiction of my cell phone and Facebook. I look at both means of communication as a way to make my world smaller and keep contact with those in my world.

I have found that people of whatever generation that was prior to X as being more apprehensive about certain types of technology and find greater value in face to face contact. I mean some people actually go to the store and buy things other than just groceries!

I find greater comfort in trying to stay in pace with the step of the world, so as to not be left behind. Or maybe it is just growing laziness.

I am contemplating having the students of my 10th grade Health classes start blogs of their own as a way to track thoughts and ideas. Furthermore, I can issue assignments in class and they would need to offer a green response via the web, compared to using another sheet of paper.

1 comment:

  1. Luke,

    This is an excellent idea. I think a blog would be great for students who don't like to necessarily speak up or share their ideas in class, especially if they could post things anonymously (or if you assigned user names for students).

    Senator George Miller had a line a few months ago that I really liked, "The students are digital but the systems are analog" and some of the teachers, I'm sad to say, are vinyl.

    Glad to see that you're embracing technology.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete